SubjectRe: 2.2.0pre1 OOPS on boot.
> At least there is a chance in
> hell that he would select "Pentium Pro", but there is just _no_ way that
> he can sanely answer a few questions like...

Exactly. I'm competent enough to design a processor chip, but without a manual
set (or other brief documentation) handy, I wouldn't know which answer to give
to those questions either.

Maybe a better solution is not to argue one way or another, but provide a
painless method for ensuring that the question need not arise. With the
exception of the savvy crowd cross-compiling their kernel for other platforms
(who I could argue should know better), most users (I assume) compile on the
target machine. A script, run at the start of 'make {x|menu}config' (or other
'make' target) could examine /proc/cpuinfo and friends to set the defaults
appropriately prior to invoking the config UI. For that matter, the same thing
could be done to test for working PCI/APM in the BIOS, and if you're really
clever, autodetection of IDE/SCSI and whatever devices are found from
/proc/bus/pci and friends. The 'correct' wording for the config options could
then be used without fear of the casual user losing sleep over the options.

Well, that's what champagne does to my thinking anyway. Happy New Year.
Kris

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.517 / U:0.080 seconds]