    SubjectRe: IPv4 kernel messages (with MMX checksum)
    > hm, nope. Even on the PII i can barely make it a win. The problem is that
    > to generate IP checksums we have to do addition with carry - on the MMX
    > engine which has no carry, no flags and no branch instructions and no
    > effective ways of mixing integer and MMX instructions. Thus my code is
    > quite tricky and it saturates the PII completely so i'm not surprised at
    > all that it does not play well on a P5.

    Does anyone know if AMD/IDC/Cysux's 3dnow! could be used and/or the pre-hyped
    MMX2 will be a benefit?

    I suspect 3dnow! might be able to do very non-3d items.
    For example, the built-in support of WinAmp.

    People tend to forgot the original MMX stood for Matrix Math eXtensions.. :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.351 / U:9.524 seconds]