    SubjectRe: [offtopic] Re: I2c was: Cobalt Micro (was Re: Build your own Mo therboards)
    On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

    > > The IIC bus has no arbitration capability at all. One checks a busy
    > > bit to see if it is ready. If not busy, one sends data (address first).
    > > The receiving machine ACKs every bus state change.
    >
    > Untrue.
    >
    > Bus arbitration in a multi-master environment is clearly defined by
    > Philips, and as Daniel had described. There is further arbitration
    > possible (clock handovers, etc) and they are fully defined in the
    > whitepaper, "The I2C Bus and How to Use it" by Philips.

    I tell you that it is absolutely true. Philips ignores that different
    masters operate asynchronous to each other. The data manual diatribe
    is absolute guess-work. They could not possibly have made anything work.

    Unfortunately, I had to make these garbage chips work in a multi-master
    environment because hardware engineers believed the data sheets. In our
    Anatom CAT Scanner, marketed by Philips incidentally, we use 3 different
    IIC buses with, I forget the exact number, over 10 devices per bus.
    I am definitely an expert in getting this garbage to work.

    If you had ever used this garbage, you would not have sent me a response
    starting with "Untrue". I don't lie.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.118 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:4.282 / U:0.744 seconds]