       Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 15:57:57 +0400
    From: Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich <>

    Well, I can confirm that the default rmem setting is insufficient
    for a stream of small packets (524 bytes here).

    David, it's not the first report about "strange" throughput for
    streams of small packets. What do you think about changing default
    window size or default receive buffer size?

    The problem is, with the default settings we are pretty safe about
    buffer overcommit. It also makes "I'm going to send you out of order
    segments only" type attacks less easy (although these are not all that
    interesting since the attacker has to give away his identity to
    perform the attack unlike SYN floods and the like).

    I don't know, perhaps Alan can comment.

    David S. Miller

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.028 / U:6.124 seconds]