    SubjectRe: [offtopic] Re: I2c was: Cobalt Micro (was Re: Build your own Motherboards)
    On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > > Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > i2c is what holds the control circuitry of the average tv set together (
    > > > and incidentally why tv cards for PC's tend to use i2c onboard). There
    > > > is linux backend support for i2c too.
    > >
    > > One imho major drawback is that i2c is limited to about 4 meters. If
    > > you want more you need special bus converters or something like
    > > that.
    > >
    > > This is from memory, having looked at i2c for home-control about 5
    > > years ago.
    > Would it be possible to crack open my TV, find the tuner area, locate the
    > I2C, hook it to the computer and sniff it, then use the computer to
    > control the TV? (same for microwave and other such devices)?

    For a TV, hooking up infrared LEDs to your computer is an alternative solution.
    Then your computer can play programmable remote control.

    Geert Uytterhoeven
    Wavelets, Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP}

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:100.004 seconds]