    Date (Alan Cox) writes:
    > At least some of it appears to be boot image types and hardware.

    The distributions have a balancing act between unsafe probing and not
    having the driver required for installation. I expect more modular
    drivers and initrd will help in the fullness of time.

    I know of one machine that the current Debian rescue disk causes to lock
    up completely on booting. It appears to be a probe for a SCSI controller,
    that I am guessing hits one of the many network cards.

    `O O' | Home:
    // ^ \\ | Work:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.020 / U:0.580 seconds]