Date (Alan Cox) writes:
> At least some of it appears to be boot image types and hardware.

The distributions have a balancing act between unsafe probing and not
having the driver required for installation. I expect more modular
drivers and initrd will help in the fullness of time.

I know of one machine that the current Debian rescue disk causes to lock
up completely on booting. It appears to be a probe for a SCSI controller,
that I am guessing hits one of the many network cards.

`O O' | Home:
// ^ \\ | Work: