SubjectRe: smbfs
On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 01:56:53PM -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> David Fries enscribed thusly:
> > I'm running 2.1.119 with smbfs compiled as a module and win95 bug
> > workaround on. I'm getting,
> > SMBFS: need mount version 6
> > from the kernel and smbmount is saying mount error: Invalid argument
>
> That means you are running the old smbmount from the smbfs package.
>
> > Both mounts I have are in the 2 something range and they sould both be very
> > recent, or could someone suggest where I can get what I need?
>
> To use smbfs and the 2.1.x kernels, you need the newer smbmount
> from the samba package. They are not the same animals and the syntax
> is different between the two. This makes for a really delightful time
> if you are dual booting between a 2.0.x kernel and a 2.1.x kernel and/or
> you are using autofs...

Thanks for the help it is working now.

I would have looked more into how to get it to work, but the message said
that I needed version 6 and I had the correct smbmount-2.1.x (as debian
names it), just it came in the samba version 1.9.18p10 package and I was
trying to find a version 6 instead of trying to figure out how to use the
command.