SubjectRe: Cobalt Micro (was Re: Build your own Motherboards)
On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Philip Blundell wrote:

> >> It's still much more complicated than things you need for a simple ISA
> >> card -- a microcontroller instead of few TTL chips (or single GAL).
> >
> >On the contrary, you can do i2c with no additional hardware on the PC
> >end, and with just i2c aware logic devices the other end if you wish.
>
> Micros are scarcely expensive anyway. You can get an 8051-compatible single
> chip device for the price of a pint of beer. If you're lucky you get IIC in
> hardware as well, otherwise you have to bang your own bits. Just add power, a
> crystal and a bit of RC to kick it into life and away you go. Atmel do quite
> a neat range of them with up to 20KB or so of flash on the chip.

Anyone know where I can find x86 based micros with such neat features
(builtin ram, flash, i2c, etc.)? I only know assembly on x86 and I dont
think I would want to learn yet another asm just for a toy. :)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.083 / U:0.092 seconds]