    SubjectRe: memory management and the status of
    In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980907023935.11952A-100000@dragon.bogus>, Andrea
    ngeli writes:
    | On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
    | >Yes... and since many machines spend lots of time idle and many
    | Sometimes I read on the list of proposal of things to do in the idle
    | process. I think that the idle process _has_ to do _nothing_ per
    | definition. If you use the idle process to do things you' ll find your

    I don't. The idle task is the task that gets control when the machine is
    idle, not the task that must be idle; there's nothing whatsoever wrong with
    it doing low-priority housekeeping, as long as it's remembered that it *is*
    by definition the lowest priority task in the system and therefore might
    never get a chance to run on a box running e.g. RC5 or GIMPS (not to be
    confused with the GIMP :-) or a heavily loaded web server, etc.

    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
    system administrator [WAY too many hats]
    electrical and computer engineering KF8NH
    carnegie mellon university

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.029 / U:1.856 seconds]