SubjectRe: memory management and the status of
In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980907023935.11952A-100000@dragon.bogus>, Andrea
Arca
ngeli writes:
+-----
| On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
| >Yes... and since many machines spend lots of time idle and many
| Sometimes I read on the list of proposal of things to do in the idle
| process. I think that the idle process _has_ to do _nothing_ per
| definition. If you use the idle process to do things you' ll find your
+--->8

I don't. The idle task is the task that gets control when the machine is
idle, not the task that must be idle; there's nothing whatsoever wrong with
it doing low-priority housekeeping, as long as it's remembered that it *is*
by definition the lowest priority task in the system and therefore might
never get a chance to run on a box running e.g. RC5 or GIMPS (not to be
confused with the GIMP :-) or a heavily loaded web server, etc.

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans