    SubjectRe: memory management and the status of
    On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

    >> want to waste cpu and disk io that could have been used better. So
    >> an idle linux box will then have a lots of non dirty pages that can
    >> be used immidiately without any disk io for swapping if the need
    >> for lots of memory suddenly comes up.
    >Yes... and since many machines spend lots of time idle and many

    Sometimes I read on the list of proposal of things to do in the idle
    process. I think that the idle process _has_ to do _nothing_ per
    definition. If you use the idle process to do things you' ll find your
    machine to mess running a rc5 client in background all the time. If you
    need to do something of low priority run a kernel daemon reniced with low

    Andrea[s] Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.020 / U:9.144 seconds]