SubjectRe: memory management and the status of
On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

>> want to waste cpu and disk io that could have been used better. So
>> an idle linux box will then have a lots of non dirty pages that can
>> be used immidiately without any disk io for swapping if the need
>> for lots of memory suddenly comes up.
>
>Yes... and since many machines spend lots of time idle and many

Sometimes I read on the list of proposal of things to do in the idle
process. I think that the idle process _has_ to do _nothing_ per
definition. If you use the idle process to do things you' ll find your
machine to mess running a rc5 client in background all the time. If you
need to do something of low priority run a kernel daemon reniced with low
priority.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans