SubjectRe: memory management and the status of
Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> Migrating unused code and data pages from applications that have been
> running for a bit seems like a good idea to me, these pages are often
> touched when applications init, and then very infrequently (if every)
> again, so this RAM would be better used as buffer-cache.
>
> With 256M of ram, I pretty much never hit swap unless I try really
> hard, however, when there has been a lot going on, I find there are
> many applications who have pages allocated not doing much with them.
>
> Forcing these pages _out_ (over-commit & touch), and then letting
> things stabilise, does indeed seem to help disk performance with
> things like `make dep' and find blah, etc.

I thought linux already did this. It would be easy to refine the swap
algorithms to seek out dirty pages that has not been modified for a while
(lets say 2 minutes) and write them out to swap. Thus making them non dirty.
Lets say this is done every 2 minutes and only if the kernel has the idle cpu
and disk io time, we dont want to waste cpu and disk io that could have been
used better. So an idle linux box will then have a lots of non dirty pages
that can be used immidiately without any disk io for swapping if the need for
lots of memory suddenly comes up.

Hans Eric

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.066 / U:0.096 seconds]