SubjectRe: Odd 2.0.35 problems with APM on VIA motherboards
On Fri, Sep 04, 1998 at 06:38:41PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> When you say "wether apm is enabled or not" do you mean in your bios/ or
> in your kernel. And is only apm disabled or also hd-sleeping.

I mean in the BIOS. I've tried these combinations over time:

BIOS Kernel
off off
off on
on on

I've never encountered lockups with hd-sleeping. I've only used
BIOS-controlled hd-sleeping though.

> I happen to have a quantum fb st 6.4A drive too. And both I and a
> friend of mine who also has this hd (and doesn't have a via mb!) are
> experiencing hardlockups when udma is enalbed and the hd spinsup.

Well, I've never had a lockup while the disk is spinning up. As far as
I am aware, Linux has no part in the spin-up process except that it is
suspended while it happens. As said, I only used BIOS/APM-controlled
spin up.

> So disabling/enabling apm doesn't help. The hdspinning after set by the
> bios is
> controlled by the hd itself and can only be set from hdparm afaik.

I think you are talking about the hdparm options to spin down the disk
after a certain amount of inactivity, independent of APM. I've never
tried these options.

> So it seems that the quantum st6.4A has a bug which causes it to hang
> with udma + hd-sleeping.
> I would like to have this investigated further.

I'm now using DMA with BIOS/APM-controlled hd sleeping, without any
lockups. The wonders of modern technology are such that I simply don't
know if it is using UDMA or non-U DMA.

The bootup message from the IDE driver saying UDMA doesn't help any.
It says that even when I don't use any DMA at all.

Would someone care to tell me how I can tell the difference?

> It's also very interesting that you say it doesn't hang with -X34.
> what would that do exactly ?

I don't know. It does change the output of hdparm -I, suggesting to me
that maybe I am using non-U DMA now. But the hdparm -t timings are the
same as ever. (9MB/s).

It is poorly documented. But it works for me!

-- Jamie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.028 / U:0.244 seconds]