    SubjectRe: Kernel Upgrades - Redhat - spec files - rpm .. and stuff
    Actually If you just go ahead and put the kernel where you normaly would
    and add an additional lilo entry for the new kernel located in / before
    you do make zlilo or make bzlilo (redhat's is in /boot) you won't even
    touch the contents of your redhat install...

    On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Charlie Ross wrote:

    > Are there any existing rpm spec files for the newer kernels?
    > or srpms?
    > I recently gave up on my slowly dying way-old slackware distribution.. I
    > was just getting too slow and hard to maintain.... So I installed redhat
    > 5.1.. I am very impressed with the rpm capability.. But I would like to be
    > using a kernel...
    > I suppose I could just install the kernel the standard way I did w/
    > slackware, but now that I am all rpm-ey I am affraid of mangling any
    > existing rpm installs, and I really like the idea of being able to
    > uninstall/reinstall varying kernels..
    > I was about to make a spec file to build rpms.. with "make menuconfig" part
    > of the %prep.. But first I wanted to check if anything already exists
    > first.. Plus I havent been able to find out how to make dependancies in rms
    > yet... this sounds to me like a good way to implement all the minimium
    > requirements in Doc/Changes and it is partially why I am working on this.
    > It seems to me that this might be a usefull thing to distribute with the
    > kernels... ( a spec file ) So that people would be able to make their own
    > rpms from the source and install/uninstall kernels w/ different
    > options easily after they have been made.
    > For all I know, this has been done already, and is sitting on some FTP site
    > somwhere, and all of you are already using it. :)
    > Comments? Criticisms? Flames?
    > -
    > the body of a message to
    > Please read the FAQ at

    Joel Jaeggli
    Academic User Services
    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
    It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
    arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
    the right, 1843.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.028 / U:7.564 seconds]