SubjectRe: 2.1.119 FourPort serial interrupt probing broken
On Sep 04, Etienne Lorrain wrote:

> Harald Koenig <koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> > using 2.1.119 (haven't tried other 2.1.x versions) interrupt probing
> > for AST compatible FourPort card is broken (using serial.o module,
> > don't know if this is relevant). [...]
> > used kernel config options are:
> > CONFIG_SERIAL=m
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED=y
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_MANY_PORTS=y
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_SHARE_IRQ=y
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_DETECT_IRQ=y
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTIPORT=y
>
> Hi,
>
> You should not compile serial.c into a module *and* enable
> DETECT_IRQ because then, you get what you asked for: each
> time the module is inserted, it will try to detect the IRQ
> of each initialised port - not safe.

but it worked with no problems at all in 2.0.x (and before).
and sometimes I need to reload serial.o with different code (playing
with radio clock and other little gadgets), so monolithic serial
driver is no option (because reboot sometimes is no option).

and I don't like having to hard wire IRQs in startup scripts if possible
(the IRQ for this card changed quite some times in the last years because
of conflicts with other hardware, depending on configuration),
that reminds me too much for stupid CONFIG.SYS :-(

> Each time the module is inserted, you will also probe each
> possible serial address to check if a port is there.

yep, I thought about removing the extra ports list in include/asm-i386/serial.h
for CONFIG_SERIAL_MANY_PORTS for sake of safety (but that never was a real
problem, those addresses don't give any collisions for my PC...).

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on ___ _____
be required to send an email notice 0--,| /OOOOOOO\

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.045 / U:1.160 seconds]