    SubjectRe: 2us Interrupt latency's for Linux 2.0.xx
    On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, George wrote:

    > On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Perry Harrington wrote:
    > >I'm wondering, can the APIC be enabled for UP boards? If so, why
    > >doesn't Linux enable the APIC as the default interrupt controller
    > >for single processor Pentium+ systems?
    > Single processor boards don't have an APIC or IO-APIC. If you read
    > Documentation/SMP.txt, the note:
    > o Separate IO-APIC from SMP.
    > means it's on the agenda to allow the IO-APIC to be used by uniprocessor
    > kernels running on SMP boards. (which, incidently, NT 4.0 can do.)
    > -George

    If NT uses the IO-APIC then why is it limited to the 16 normal INTs?
    Furthermore, if they use IO-APIC how could they screw up their int
    handling so badily their their int latency is so high dispite the ultra
    fast IO-APIC.

    Perhaps NT 4.0 uses IO-APIC in that it detects it's presence.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.020 / U:3.644 seconds]