SubjectKernel Upgrades - Redhat - spec files - rpm .. and stuff

Are there any existing rpm spec files for the newer 2.1.xxx kernels?
or srpms?

I recently gave up on my slowly dying way-old slackware distribution.. I
was just getting too slow and hard to maintain.... So I installed redhat
5.1.. I am very impressed with the rpm capability.. But I would like to be
using a 2.1.xxx kernel...
I suppose I could just install the kernel the standard way I did w/
slackware, but now that I am all rpm-ey I am affraid of mangling any
existing rpm installs, and I really like the idea of being able to
uninstall/reinstall varying kernels..

I was about to make a spec file to build rpms.. with "make menuconfig" part
of the %prep.. But first I wanted to check if anything already exists
first.. Plus I havent been able to find out how to make dependancies in rms
yet... this sounds to me like a good way to implement all the minimium
requirements in Doc/Changes and it is partially why I am working on this.

It seems to me that this might be a usefull thing to distribute with the
kernels... ( a spec file ) So that people would be able to make their own
rpms from the source and install/uninstall kernels w/ different
options easily after they have been made.

For all I know, this has been done already, and is sitting on some FTP site
somwhere, and all of you are already using it. :)

Comments? Criticisms? Flames?

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans