SubjectRe: 2.1.xxx makes Electric Fence 22x slower
Date
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:
> However, I'm not at all convinced that "efence slows down" is an argument
> at all - I want to hear some _real_ applications slow down rather than
> debugging code.

Suppose I am trying to find a memory overrun in a long-running application.
For instance, a WWW or name server.

Using something like efence for such a thing is totally out of the question
right now, because if that overrun shows up after an hour of heavy use
under normal conditions, or if the code is trying to talk to real-world
things, the slowdown is so bad that the program is unusable, which means
that I cannot find the bug. (This has already happened to me.)

Others have remarked that persistent or distributed object storage ideas are
similarly affected.

Returning to 2.0 is NOT a viable option. Thus, I'd like to ask you to put
the AVL code back in. Thanks.

--
Matthias Urlichs | noris network GmbH | smurf@noris.de
The quote was selected randomly. Really. | http://www.noris.de/~smurf/