SubjectRe: Reducing the pressure
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Perry Harrington <pedward@sun4.apsoft.com>:
> : 3 repositories, under distinct control; 3 for each of odd and even minors.
> :
> : 1 repository contains the "production" release, the 2.0.33, etc.
> : 1 repository contains the "pre" release, beta stage, stuff that's experimental
> : all been tested.
> : 1 repository contains the "alpha" release, the 'not neccessarily working'
> : code. This is where bug fixes and new code get input into the system.
>
> That's all doable.

Is it possible to have several `flavors' of Linux at once that can easily be
kept in sync?

Contrary to what some people think, the official Linux releases do not run on
all the architectures that are supported by Linux. While we work on sorting out
the conflicts and getting things updated and integrated, we rely on different
source trees. You can imagine this is a sort of maintenance nightmare for us,
and any tools to make life easier are welcome.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be