    SubjectRe: jitterbug
    Date
    Andrea wrote:
    > I never used it and I don' t like it. This because my poor ppp connection
    > is slow everywhere. The only TCP reliable service here is smtp (because
    > it' s off-line of course ;-).
    >
    > I will feel confortable with jitterbug if somebody would act as a
    > mail->jitterbug filter for me ;-).

    I wrote JitterBug and setup the linux-patches use of it so I'll try to
    explain how it works for email-only people.

    Patches come into the system by being emailed to the address
    linux-patches@samba.anu.edu.au. The system then assigns an ID and send
    an auto-reply to the submitter telling them how to find the status of
    their patch.

    The mail is then automatically forwarded to an address that Linus
    setup on his machine (I think it goes to one of his pine
    folders). Before forwarding the To: is changed to be Linus's address
    and the CC is set to linux-patches@samba.anu.edu.au. If Linus does a
    as well as to the linux-patches system where it will be recognised as
    a reply and added into the appropriate place in the system. If the
    submitter then replies to that mail then the reply goes to Linus and
    also to the linux-patches system, where it appears as a "followup".

    Next are "notifications". People with "linux-patches accounts" can set
    themselves up as wanting to be notified by email of a status change in
    a particular message or in a whole directory of messages. For example,
    davem gets email notification on the "done" directory so he knows when
    something has been applied by Linus.

    Note that the description up till now has only involved email.

    If you want to actually view the status of messages, download other
    peoples patches, move messages between directories, add notes to them
    etc then you need to use a web browser. When you do that you also get
    a whole pile of other goodies that really aren't suitable for a email
    interface.

    I was hoping that linux-patches would keep being used right through
    the code freeze as I think that during a code freeze it is perhaps
    more important than ever for everyone to know what is going on and
    what the status of patches is. Linus decided to stop using it as a way
    of discouraging "feature" patches. Maybe the current deferred
    directory, or a new directory called "For 2.3" could be used to handle
    inappropriate patches instead?

    The big disadvantage of the linux-patches JitterBug is that it is more
    work for Linus. He needs to use a browser to change the status of
    patches when he accepts/rejects them (lots of "mousing around" as he
    puts it). The big advantage is that it allows everyone to see the
    status of pending patches and the explanations (attached as notes to
    the patch) of why it was accepted/rejected/deferred. If Linus is
    willing to do the mousing around then I think that the other
    developers could benefit a lot from the system, but it is for Linus to
    decide if he can afford that time.

    Finally, I don't really want to become involved in setting the
    policies for use of linux-patches. I'm very happy to add features as
    needed or advise as to how to get the best from the system but I'm not
    heavily enough involved in day-to-day kernel development at the moment
    to make any judgements on the policy of its use. I initially proposed
    using JitterBug after a mixup over a patch I submitted to Linus. I
    proposed it as a technological fix to what I thought was a problem in
    communication between kernel developers. Like most technological fixes
    it doesn't address all the human aspects of the problem :-)

    Cheers, Tridge

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:61.072 seconds]