    SubjectRe: unresolved symbol open

    I think the right way to find out what you can use is to do
    cat /proc/ksyms (if you are writing a module).
    If the functions you want to use aren't there you won't be able to call
    them. Note that some functions are actually defined as macros in include
    files and so do not need to mentioned in /proc/ksyms. Also for these
    functions you will want to define KERNEL and MODULE in your driver so that
    the right portions of include files be processed. Otherwise gcc will just
    skip those macros.

    If there is some function in kernel includes that you want and it's not
    mentioned in /proc/ksyms you can go to linux/kernel/ksyms.c and add a line
    for that function.

    Also if there is a variable you want to access you can (as a quick hack)
    create a function return_variable() and put it in ksyms.c.
    (as a side note - can I actually put pointers to global variables in
    proc/ksyms.c - I think yes but I haven't tried..)

    Vladimir Dergachev