    SubjectRe: Linux tcp/ip code has trouble with async network I/O notification,
    Wim Ten Have wrote:

    > I think that there is a major ;-) problem around in the Linux TCP/IP
    > code when using Async (SIGIO) controlled network code setups.

    > The idea of the re pro is that a certain server process needs ASYNC
    > I/O notification when recv network I/O is possible. Under Linux
    > this only works "well" for local clients though clients routed via
    > external physical devices have difficulties.

    > Some understanding wrt this problem I currently hold is that the
    > SIGIO is posted before the socket connection state is set to
    > ESTABLISHED making the select(2) miss the available data. Local
    > clients have the advantage that their data is already available so I
    > think they are served by accident.

    After all the stupid flamage (my threads are bigger than yours kind of things), I
    remember having found some messages in linux-java where they basically came to the
    conclusion that in Linux the SIGIO is delivered before the full TCP handshake is
    I was able to reproduce the bad behavior when connecting accross a modem, but not
    locally or on the same (idle) subnet.
    There is a patch hanging somewhere for 2.0.3x. The problem was said to be fixed in
    2.1.xx (which obviously isn't). I will look for the patch if I can still find it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.023 / U:3.824 seconds]