SubjectRe: Linux tcp/ip code has trouble with async network I/O notification,u
In <19980903020059.A1156@thyrsus.com>, on 09/03/98
at 02:00 AM, "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> said:

[...]
>Secondly, threads suck. They're currently fashionable, but it's by no
>means clear that they're any improvement on asynchronous I/O.

>I say this because threads encourage in the time domain all the same
>kinds of aliasing havoc that you can get by being careless with pointers
>in the spatial domain.
Careless thread programming is bad. But one doesn't have to be careless.

>It's way too hard to mentally model or make
>provable assertions about the global state of a multi-threaded program.
Hard for you maybe? Threads can be useful sometimes. Of course there are
times when other approaches are better. Doesn't mean threads are never
useful though.

Helge Hafting