    SubjectRe: Differences between FreeBSD and Linux system call mechanism
    Date
    > > I'm starting to wonder. Terry normally knows what he is talking about,
    >
    > I was under the impression he just used big words and prayed 8)

    Nice Ad Hominim. I mistype "call-gate" for "trap-gate", and now
    I'm a religious zealot. See my other posting.

    > > 3) I'm not sure about Terrys definition of "efficient", but if he means
    > > required CPU cycles I thought that there were not that many left in
    > > Linux that FreeBSD could be better. Has anybody hard numbers for both
    > > kernels?
    >
    > lmbench is your friend. Im sure Larry McVoy can provide

    LMBench is a set of microbenchmarks that aren't very predictive of
    real-world load characteristics. The best predictor of real-world
    load characteristics is previous measurements in the real-world
    under identical load (ie: if it too 500 cycles yesterday, it will
    take 500 cycles today).

    Terry Lambert
    terry@lambert.org
    ---
    or previous employers.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:150.984 seconds]