    SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?

    On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:06:20 -0400, Theo Van Dinter <> said:

    > I read a paper ( the
    > other day about the WAFL filesystem (used on the Network Appliances at
    > The NetApp boxes use NVRAM to record a log of NFS
    > activity since the last write to disk, and it does a consistency
    > "snapshot" at least once every 10 seconds. Basically it comes down to
    > this: The filesystem on disk is always consistent (ie: no fsck needed
    > after reboot), and the nvram stores what changed since the last write
    > (battery backed up so a power failure doesn't kill it) ...

    Sounds exactly like the ext2fs journaling I'm working on, doesn't it? :)

    The journaling will, by default, use a reserved journal inode on your
    existing filesystem, but it will have an option to journal to a separate
    device if you want. And if you happen to have a solid-state SCSI disk,
    just store the journal there (or on a local nvram board, if you have
    such a thing).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.021 / U:50.088 seconds]