SubjectRe: [OFF-TOPIC] InfoWorld: Intel Unveils Unix Initiative
Date
In article <3608FD1A.2CAC8A13@tbcnet.com>,
Terry L Ridder <terrylr@tbcnet.com> wrote:
>Rob Dale wrote:
>>
>> Reading some of the posts on the UDI issue,
>> it seems the Linux community has not determined
>> what to think of UDI, therefore making this statement
>> untrue...
>>
>> "Also supported by the Linux community,
>> the UDI specification aims to..."
>>
>> So where do we stand on this issue?
>
>There is a definite need for clarification from both Project UDI and Intel
>on various statements made. Until such clarification is obtained it is clear
>that the Linux Community must take a wait-and-see attitude.

The _official_ attitude as far as I'm concerned is always a "let's wait
and see" attitude.

I personally think the UDI project may well end up being a good thing,
not just for Linux. And I'm distressed by how much people have been
jumping up and down about the thing.

Let's see what happens. It might help us with certain hardware vendors,
and qutie frankly, it can't much hurt us. If UDI is bad, we'll not use
it. It's not as if anybody is twisting our arms: Intel wants to do UDI
for their own reasons, and they hope to leverage Linux there, but they
also know that Linux isn't "theirs" to leverage - so they certainly want
to be good to us.

But let's be open to the idea, and see where it gets us.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.643 / U:0.908 seconds]