       Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:23:29 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Linus Torvalds <>

    (Aggregation tends to be bad for latency, which is why it's hard: there
    needs to be some way for the interrupt handler to tell the system that "I
    want bh's run _now_, because I got an important packet or I'm close to
    filling up the queues").

    I don't know if it's really worth pursuing, though.

    This would be really nice for SLIP/PPP processing. We could have the
    drivers only run the BH when a SLIP or PPP framing character was
    processed. This gives us the benefits of aggregation without the
    downside of latency, since we kick the BH at exactly the right time ---
    when we've gotten a full packet worth of data, and can send it to the
    network layer.

    Furthermore, it shouldn't be that hard to have interrupt drivers return
    a flag indicating whether BH's should run now or not. It's something
    that would be really nice for 2.3.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.018 / U:130.520 seconds]