    SubjectRe: IDE-Driver Update :: Testing Requested (Ultra33 as RAID?? (fwd))
    Martin Mares wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > > I have one.
    > >
    > > The board uses a single PCI interrupt when in "native" mode,
    > > and a pair of interrupts when in "compatibility" mode (IRQ14/15),
    > > as do *all* compliant PCI IDE controllers.
    > >
    > > Note the confusion may simply be that a *single* "IDE controller"
    > > these days always supports *two* hwif's (interfaces).
    > >
    > > The Promise RAID card is identical to the Promise Ultra33 IDE card,
    > > except for a different on-board BIOS.
    >
    > I'm not sure about how does the IRQ compatibility mode work. The PCI bus
    > itself has no chance how to transmit any IRQ different from the standard
    > IRQ A/B/C/D pins. It must be either a planar device connected to non-PCI

    IRQ compatibility usually is supported only on motherboard chipsets,
    where all IRQ pins are available.

    Some add-on cards support it through use of an ISA "header" which
    plugs into an ISA slot via a ribbon cable from the PCI card.

    Some PCI cards support it by using IRQA and IRQB, and having the motherboard
    BIOS route IRQA to IRQ14 and IRQB to IRQ15.
    --
    mlord@pobox.com