    SubjectRe: IDE-Driver Update :: Testing Requested (Ultra33 as RAID?? (fwd))
    Martin Mares wrote:
    > Hello,
    > > I have one.
    > >
    > > The board uses a single PCI interrupt when in "native" mode,
    > > and a pair of interrupts when in "compatibility" mode (IRQ14/15),
    > > as do *all* compliant PCI IDE controllers.
    > >
    > > Note the confusion may simply be that a *single* "IDE controller"
    > > these days always supports *two* hwif's (interfaces).
    > >
    > > The Promise RAID card is identical to the Promise Ultra33 IDE card,
    > > except for a different on-board BIOS.
    > I'm not sure about how does the IRQ compatibility mode work. The PCI bus
    > itself has no chance how to transmit any IRQ different from the standard
    > IRQ A/B/C/D pins. It must be either a planar device connected to non-PCI

    IRQ compatibility usually is supported only on motherboard chipsets,
    where all IRQ pins are available.

    Some add-on cards support it through use of an ISA "header" which
    plugs into an ISA slot via a ribbon cable from the PCI card.

    Some PCI cards support it by using IRQA and IRQB, and having the motherboard
    BIOS route IRQA to IRQ14 and IRQB to IRQ15.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:0.716 seconds]