SubjectRe: Today Linus redesigns the networking driver interface (was Re: tulip driver in ...)
  From: Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 20:55:42 -0500

No, I fully agree with you that we shouldn't chain ourselves to something, I
was just pointing out that there is an actual reason to argue over the
correct usage of SA_INTERRUPT in 2.0.x since many of us are still
maintaining drivers there. My original arguments were basically that I
don't think SA_INTERRUPT really buys a SCSI driver anything so I personally
thought Gerard should take it out of his driver since doing so would solve
other problems. However, if the ncr cards can generate as many as 10,500
interrupts per second, maybe his driver does need the SA_INTERRUPT flag :)

It's not just his driver either. In certain cases I've managed to clock over
13000 interrupts/second on a single host aapter, and multiple host adapters
just magnify this. The real issue with SA_INTERRUPT is not wanting unnecessary
bottom half processing, not the slower interrupt trap entry/exit sequences. As
has been suggested multiple times before, a reasonable way to get rid of
SA_INTERRUPT is to allow interrupt handlers to return a value indicating
whether they need bottom half processing or not, and OR together the results
from all the interrupt handlers sharing an interrupt.

Leonard

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.029 / U:0.148 seconds]