    SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
    Date
    Stefan Monnier enscribed thusly:
    > > If by more you mean `UDI drivers that can be used on Linux instead
    > > of no driver at all because the vendor refuses to release hardware
    > > specs', yes, I can agree with that. This doesn't stop the vendors
    > > who are releasing specs from continuing to release specs.

    > Many vendors only release specs because of the pressure of thousands of users
    > complaining `it doesn't work with Linux'. Now if you replace this `it doesn't
    > work' with `it's slow', do you really believe that the pressure will still be
    > sufficient ?

    Replace it with "do you want us to write nice native drivers that
    make your board look good and you don't have to support or do you want to
    continue to support all of the thousands of support calls on your buggy
    drivers". Appeal to their enlightened self interest (aka greed). Some
    manufacturers have argued that they are protecting "proprietary" designs
    by not releasing specs. That's hard to argue against when they don't
    want to give away a competative advantage. If their competitor has the
    advantage, though, because they have open source native drivers, the
    shoe is on the other foot. Make it a competative advantage to those
    vendors who supply source or specs and have native drivers. That's an
    advangage the increases as our market share increases. I don't care if
    it's geeks, dudes, dolls, or TROLLS using Linux. Convince THEM by promoting
    open source drivers as better and close source drivers as a wild ass crap
    shoot, and you've got the manufacturers by the short hairs. YES! It's
    turning FUD on it's head and using it to our advantage. So be it!

    So many people are worrying that we will loose our leverage with
    the manufacturers as Linux goes mainstream that they are loosing sight of
    our real leverage. We are currently in the cat bird seat to teach people
    that open source is GOOD. People use Linux because it's good. Linux is
    open source and Linux is better than close source OS's. Inference: Open
    Source is better than Close Source. Beat the drum! Get the lemmings
    in line as they sign up! Something made them want to use Linux. Use
    that to drill it into their heads that the reason they want to use linux
    is the same reason Open Source is good and close source is bad. Then
    our leverage increases.

    > Stefan

    Mike
    --