    SubjectRe: 2.1.120 - too many errors on the network interfaces
    In message <m3k92yhm7i.fsf@fred.muc.de>, Andi Kleen writes:
    +-----
    | allbery@kf8nh.apk.net (Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH) writes:
    | > them fall short), but it does seem silly that proc doesn't include version
    | > numbers. Would it really be that painful to have the first line of a /proc
    | > file be an interface version number? Old utilities that don't know about i
    |
    | This is totally unnecessary if you write robust /proc parsers.
    +--->8

    And this helps Alex with his /proc/cpuinfo conundrum exactly how? Robust
    parsing can only take you so far; it assumes that the contents of /proc are
    consistent between platforms and Linux revisions. When (not if) they
    aren't, you have a problem that only a version number can help you deal with
    sensibly (I should not have to parse 70% of a /proc file to find that it's
    not actually compatible with what I'm expecting...).

    And yes, I'm fully aware of how to do safe line-oriented parsing, although I've been trying to avoid sscanf() as insufficiently robust for the past 6 years.

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:2.226 / U:0.096 seconds]