SubjectRe: 2.1.120 - too many errors on the network interfaces
In message <Pine.LNX.4.02.9809201010140.15506-100000@tahallah.demon.co.uk>,
Ale
x Buell writes:
+-----
| On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
| > Dunno about ioctl (I've seen lots of schemes proposed and used, and
| > all of them fall short), but it does seem silly that proc doesn't
| > include version numbers. Would it really be that painful to have the
|
| I have had some problems parsing /proc/cpuinfos on different
| architectures. I hope you have seen my message about it earlier today.
+--->8

I did, in fact it was another reason that I posted the above. Consistent
interfaces as suggested are well, fine, and good, but (XthreadX with UDI)
you can't always maintain interface consistency when that interface is
broken, as with the dev->flush() changes. And /proc/cpuinfo strikes me as
an interface which may well have problems being simultaneously consistent
and complete while addressing multiple CPU architecture families (heck, it's
been a problem just between Intel, AMD, and Cyrix; should we be surprised at
problems between x86 and PPC, Alpha, SPARC, ...?).

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.101 / U:0.076 seconds]