SubjectRe: Today Linus redesigns the networking driver interface (was Re: tulip driver in ...)

Linus> The first to make sure that we do the best damn job we
Linus> can. That goes without saying. However, the second part is
Linus> really that _if_ networks really will continue to outstrip CPU
Linus> power (which I personally find very unlikely indeed - it's just
Linus> that network performance tends to go up in bigger jumps, so
Linus> people react more), then whatever we do we at some point have
Linus> to throttle the incoming flow when we determine that we cannot
Linus> keep up.

With all due respect, I think you are very wrong on this on Linus. As
it is now, the question is not whether the network can keep up with
the computer but whether the computer can keep up with the network
(the only ones who seem to be able to do this at the moment are
companies like SGI and maybe a few other).

Looking at the network standards which are in the works and which are
likely to start appearing for real within 1-2 years, this situation
does not look like its going to change. In fact I think the sitation
is going to get worse.

Jes

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.112 / U:0.116 seconds]