SubjectRe: intel_vs_better
RHS Linux User wrote:

> I'm browsing the web trying to figure out why Intel wants
> to be involved in the creation of a driver interface specification.
> And why they and x86 and non-x86 unix vendors would like to
> see Linux involved.

Please refer to the following URL's

http://www.sco.com.udi
http://www.i2osig.org
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/1998/37/ns-5501.html

To quote from the last one:

<Begin Quote>
Most failures on enterprise systems are due to driver problems,
industry representatives heard at the Intel Developer Forum in
Palm Springs Wednesday. "Driver reliability is the smoking gun
keeping Unix on Intel servers out of the enterprise," said Intel's
Justin Rattner during a server technology seminar where the
Linux community was identified as a source of help for the
mighty chip maker.
<End Quote>

<Begin Quote>
Kevin Quick, chairman of Project UDI, added that the initiative
will let OS vendors work on core issues on OC content rather
than having to concentrate on hardware issues. "Now, companies
such as SCO have artificial restrictions placed on them," he said.
"A vendor may have drivers for most PCI devices, but perhaps not
for Gigabit Ethernet, and so they'll lose the sale - the customer
will have to go elsewhere."
<End Quote>

<major snip>

The bottomline for Intel is money.
No surprise there. ;-)

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

entertaining angels
by the light of my computer screen
24-7 you wait for me
entertaining angels
while the night becomes history
host of heaven, sing over me
==Entertaining Angels==Newsboys

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.051 / U:0.692 seconds]