SubjectRe: Confusing AIC 7xxx driver messages
Oliver Mai wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm running Linux 2.0.36pre10 SMP on an ASUS P2L97-DS mainboard
> with on-board Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter.
> I have two harddisks and one CD-ROM attached to the narrow
> SCSI channel. There are no devices attached to the wide
> SCSI channel and no external devices either.
>
> At bootup, I get the following messages from the aic7xxx driver:
>
> aic7xxx: Warning - detected auto-termination on controller:
> aic7xxx: <Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter> at PCI 6/0
> aic7xxx: Please verify driver detected settings are correct.
> aic7xxx: If not, then please properly set the device termination
> aic7xxx: in the Adaptec SCSI BIOS by hitting CTRL-A when prompted
> aic7xxx: during machine bootup.
> aic7xxx: Cables present (Int-50 YES, Int-68 YES, Ext-68 YES)
> aic7xxx: Illegal cable configuration!! Only two
> aic7xxx: connectors on the SCSI controller may be in use at a time!
> aic7xxx: Termination (Low OFF, High OFF)
>
> This is not true: There is only one cable attached to the
> host adapter, and the SCSI BIOS (CTRL-A) says that Termination
> is ON (Low ON, High ON), as it should be.
> The messages are the same when I boot the 2.0.35 kernel.
>
> I hope I can ignore these confusing warnings??

Hmmm...well, now we can point a finger at Asus as the source of one of my
headaches. The 5.1.0-pre11 driver will have a fix for this in it (it
already does as a matter of fact). The messages about cables are because
the motherboard controller lacks proper cable detection logic. The Auto
term message is because the CFAUTOTERM bit is set in the SEEPROM's
adapter_control word. The fix in my pre11 driver is to default these cases
different than I use to. Since all three cables is something that has
happened, and you do want termination disabled, the default when we detected
three cables was to disable termination on the adapter completely. Since so
many motherboard controllers are built with bogus detection logic though,
I've now changed the default to assume that if it detects 3 cables, it's a
broken motherboard and enable the termination. Now, that still doesn't fix
the fact that Asus' motherboard BIOS is not properly clearing the AUTOTERM
bit in the SEEPROM when you are using manual termination settings.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Opinions expressed are my own, but