SubjectRe: Implementing Meta File information in Linux
On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 02:51:26AM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
> I like this approach. I will also add that it fits perfectly into
> my long term semantic enhancement plans for ReiserFS.

Why is all this discussed as being added to a single filesystem
instead of as a stacking layer? This is something that fit perfectly
as a stacking layer, meaning it could work for _all_ filesystems
instead of just one, and still could be done as an experiment, and
that it would never bug down the users that don't want this semantic.

Yes, that would mean that somebody would have to extend the Linux VFS,
or make a single 'filesystem' that functioned as a holding area for
stacks. IMO: Cheap at the price.

The references for stacking layers are available from John Heidemann's
homepage at
http://gost.isi.edu/~johnh/SOFTWARE/UCLA_STACKING/index.html

If you're seriously interested in this sort of design, I'd also
recommend reading some of the papers on 'building block design' for
filesystems that IBMs researchers keep putting out (mostly based on
the Hurricane filesystem). That, however, does much larger changes to
the structure than John Heidemann's work (but would allow individual
_programs_ to select which semantic they want, which is fairly neat
:-)

Eivind.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:1.747 / U:0.056 seconds]