    SubjectRe: Implementing Meta File information in Linux
    On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 02:51:26AM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
    > I like this approach. I will also add that it fits perfectly into
    > my long term semantic enhancement plans for ReiserFS.

    Why is all this discussed as being added to a single filesystem
    instead of as a stacking layer? This is something that fit perfectly
    as a stacking layer, meaning it could work for _all_ filesystems
    instead of just one, and still could be done as an experiment, and
    that it would never bug down the users that don't want this semantic.

    Yes, that would mean that somebody would have to extend the Linux VFS,
    or make a single 'filesystem' that functioned as a holding area for
    stacks. IMO: Cheap at the price.

    The references for stacking layers are available from John Heidemann's
    homepage at
    http://gost.isi.edu/~johnh/SOFTWARE/UCLA_STACKING/index.html

    If you're seriously interested in this sort of design, I'd also
    recommend reading some of the papers on 'building block design' for
    filesystems that IBMs researchers keep putting out (mostly based on
    the Hurricane filesystem). That, however, does much larger changes to
    the structure than John Heidemann's work (but would allow individual
    _programs_ to select which semantic they want, which is fairly neat
    :-)

    Eivind.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.023 / U:60.464 seconds]