SubjectRe: Implementing Meta File information in Linux
> > What about tar though? If you must restore from a backup,
> > wouldn't you want to keep the immutable bits? How would you
> > copy a directory tree with ext2 attributes intact?
>
> You fix tar (or better yet you fix cpio)

Surely it's dump/restore that matter most. I hope the ext2fs dump/restore
utilities are smart enough to do something about immutable bits; I don't
know though (sidenote: Digital Unix uses a modified dump format and
vdump/vrestore for advfs, most likely since it has to be able to dump various
security info). Regardless, the kernel provides an interface to immutable
bits and so on, and it's the userspace backup utilities' responsibility to
take notice. tar is meant to be a bit more crossplatform as an archive
format, and hence I wouldn't expect it to keep immutable bits. It would be
like expecting "zip" to keep permissions, or "uuencode" to keep ownership.
Some tools don't do some things - live with it. But then, GNU tar will
probably add a --preserve-ext2-flags, --preserve-global-entropy and
--preserve-fig-jam-and-pickles if you really want it, and GNU cpio will
probably have a --restore-ext2-flags and --extract-bread-from-broken-toaster.

David.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.072 / U:0.336 seconds]