    SubjectRe: Next round of console patches
    On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
    > On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 08:20:32AM +0200, Gerd Knorr wrote:
    > > There is. The VESA BIOS will tell you (a) how much video memory the board
    > > has installed and (b) where the linear framebuffer starts. vesafb (well,
    > > the real mode boot code) asks the BIOS for these values and uses this for
    > > the framebuffer device. And for exactly this area the mtrr entry is added.
    > >
    > > Assuming legal framebuffer space and MMIO don't overlap, this works fine.
    > As far as I know, this assumption is not true at least for Mach64 based VGA
    > cards - they map their MMIO over the last kilobyte of video RAM in the
    > aperture.

    2 KB for Mach64 VT/GT.

    It depends:

    - The MMIO overlaps with the little endian aperture only. Big endian rules
    again :-)
    - You can disable the MMIO overlap and enable the secondary MMIO region.
    Don't know what the ATI BIOS does.

    Geert Uytterhoeven
    Wavelets, Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP}

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.018 / U:1.636 seconds]