    SubjectRe: Next round of console patches
    On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Gerd Knorr wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
    > > On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 08:20:32AM +0200, Gerd Knorr wrote:
    > > > There is. The VESA BIOS will tell you (a) how much video memory the board
    > > > has installed and (b) where the linear framebuffer starts. vesafb (well,
    > > > the real mode boot code) asks the BIOS for these values and uses this for
    > > > the framebuffer device. And for exactly this area the mtrr entry is added.
    > > >
    > > > Assuming legal framebuffer space and MMIO don't overlap, this works fine.
    > >
    > > As far as I know, this assumption is not true at least for Mach64 based VGA
    > > cards - they map their MMIO over the last kilobyte of video RAM in the
    > > aperture.
    > ^^^^^^^^
    > Could you explain this? My dictionary has'nt conputer-speak translation
    > for this...
    > Does it really mean the video memory and mmio overlap? Or is this some
    > larger area (say 16 MB space) for graphics I/O with the framebuffer (say 4
    > MB) at the start and 1k MMIO at the end and some unused space inbetween?

    My ATI Mach64 GT (RAGE II+) has 2 PCI blocks: one of 16 MB and one of 4 KB.

    The first 8 MB of the 16 MB region is a little endian aperture (window) to the
    frame buffer memory. The second 8 MB is a big endian aperture to the same frame
    buffer memory. By default, the last 2 KB of the little endian aperture (i.e.
    at base+8MB-2KB) contains the MMIO registers.

    The 4 KB region is the auxiliary register aperture: it contains the same MMIO

    You can chose which of the two register apertures you want to enable, or even

    Geert Uytterhoeven
    Wavelets, Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP}

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.021 / U:10.492 seconds]