SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
Date
> I thing that it is high time for hardware vendors to acknowledge the size of the
> linux market and start using their well paid software engineers to develop
> drivers for Linux.

They are. AMI & Dell with the Megaraid driver, and Multi Tech with the
ISI driver for their multiport cards. Sangoma with their synchronous cards.
ELSA and their help with ISDN certification etc... And there are vendors
who didnt write the drivers but whose support for Linux drivers has been
well beyond the call of duty such as Buslogic. What I've quoted is a far
from complete list - you can add quite a few other vendors to the list

> drivers for any present past or future operating system but Linux (and other
> free O.S.). I do not buy the idea of source code drivers being a problem for
> hardware manufacturers... if your hardware depends to work on some witty
> fiddling with the software it is not good for me; if your hardware is good
> and sound a source code driver will outshow it with no doubts...When 3com, SMC,
> Matrox, etc. are going to use their $$$ to build drivers for Linux????

3com provide documentation for free to pretty much anyone on almost any
PC card. I've got a pair of 3com cards here that were given to me by 3com
so I had enough cards to debug bridging for 2.0..

Vendors will use their dollars (actually a percentage of your dollars ;))
to write drivers when it makes commercial sense. Its up to the userbase
to make it commercial sense.

And especially with new machines users have a lot of clout. Several UK
suppliers now carry Buslogic cards partly because they got fed up of

"I'd like to order a dual PII/300, 256Mb of RAM, 17" monitor
4 4Gig IBM disks, and a buslogic scsi controller"
"We dont do buslogic only adaptec"
"Nothing else"
"Sorry"
[Click]

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:2.756 / U:0.104 seconds]