SubjectRe: UDI issues
In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980918234137.539A-100000@fire.fireplace>, Gerhard
Mac
k writes:
+-----
| This isn't us vs the other Unix people.
| This isn't us vs the harware maufacturers.
| This is us vs Microsoft...
+--->8

For now.

Linux is an ally of convenience for the Unix vendors, who also want to see
M$ go away. But if M$ is removed from the picture, suddenly it's a
free(-speech) *ix vs. closed, proprietary Unix and our UDI "allies" become
enemies. In fact, the article about UDI says as much: the proprietary
folks want us to do the legwork for them in creating drivers, then they will
add their own closed-source changes. (Read it.)

If we do become involved with UDI, we must do so in a way that doesn't leave
us defenseless. That doesn't mean we must stay away from UDI, but it does
mean that going all-out for it without some thought for our own goals *will*
cause problems for us later.

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.335 / U:0.340 seconds]