SubjectRe: Different ATAPI CD-ROM Weirdness [solution]
I have the same problem. Solution: add a line in the linux section of your
lilo.conf file such as 'append = "hdb=none"'. For example:

#linux
image = /vmlinuz
root = /dev/hda1
label = Linux
read-only
vga = normal
append = "hdb=none"
#end linux section

That line will fix it up nicely. If you already have an append statement
in your lilo.conf, just add hdb=none to the list of arguments already
there.

~Paul Laufer

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Justin A. Kolodziej wrote:

> This is a long story...
>
> For some reason, although my CD-ROM drive worked almost perfectly in
> Linux, it stopped working properly in Windows (YES, I still need it for
> Quattro Pro and a few games :( ). Of course, I thought this was a
> glitch in Windows, but nothing I did fixed the problem. Finally I
> decided to switch it from being a slave on the primary IDE interface to
> being a slave on the secondary interface. It works ok in both Windows
> and Linux now, but I get some strange bootup messages in Linux.
>
> With the old configuration, I got messages like:
>
> hdb: Probing with STATUS[0x50] instead of ALTSTATUS [whatever]
> hdb: Probing with STATUS[0x51] instead of ALTSTATUS [whatever]
> hdb: Probing with STATUS[0x51] instead of ALTSTATUS [whatever]
>
> but it worked fine.
>
> Now I get this:
> boot dmesg:
> -- PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> PIIX3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
> hda: QUANTUM BIGFOOT2550A, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: non-IDE drive, CHS=700/255/63
> hdc: Maxtor 90576D4, ATA DISK drive
> hdd: FX001DE, ATAPI CDROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: QUANTUM BIGFOOT2550A, 2457MB w/87kB Cache, CHS=624/128/63, DMA
> hdb: INVALID GEOMETRY: 255 PHYSICAL HEADS?
> hdc: Maxtor 90576D4, 5495MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=11166/16/63, DMA
>
> after mount /cdrom:
>
> hdb: INVALID GEOMETRY: 255 PHYSICAL HEADS?
> hdd: ATAPI 4X CDROM drive, 128kB Cache
> Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.13
> VFS: Disk change detected on device 16:40
>
> The funny thing is that now the BIOS and Windows agree that there is no
> slave on the primary interface, but Linux insists on finding a drive
> there?!
>
> PPro 180, VX440 mobo, 440FX chipset, Mitsumi CD-ROM
>
> I will try a 2.0 kernel later to see if that changes anything.
>
> Justin A. Kolodziej
>
> Easiest Color To Solve On A Rubik's Cube:
> Black. Simply remove all the little colored stickers on the
> cube, and each of side of the cube will now be the original color of
> the plastic underneath -- black. According to the instructions, this
> means the puzzle is solved.
> -- Steve Rubenstein
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.044 / U:0.104 seconds]