SubjectRe: Implementing Meta File information in Linux
In message <XFMail.980915112121.jsgf@sirius.com>, Jeremy Fitzhardinge writes:
+-----
| Per-file metadata should strictly contain information pertinent to that file
| alone, such as type, encoding, (maybe) icon, etc. Things like position on the
+--->8

Default icon, certainly. Users could override that, but that is not
appropriate to store with/on/in the file itself in a multiuser setting.

| The question then becomes whether to also have per-file preference attributes
| in every file a user touches, or to have some kind of database per user with
| all their file preferences in it (with all the associated difficulties of
| keeping it in sync, identifying files, etc, etc).
+--->8

Another problem with the former is that it's highly questionable whether a
user should be allowed to affect metadata "attached" (in some sense) to a
file to which they don't have write access. This is especially important if
a kernel-based metadata solution is used: do we really want the permissions
on the metadata fork to be different from the data fork? I don't think so.
And with a separate-but-nearby metadata model (e.g. dot-directories) you
would have to grant world write permission to the directory in which the
metadata are stored; this also doesn't appeal (think /etc/passwd). But
denying the user the ability to store metadata about the file also seems
wrong.

A per-user metadata database has its problems, yes, but it doesn't raise
potential security issues.

| Are there any multiuser systems which address the problems of per-user
| preference info stored in file attributes?
+--->8

I think you'd have to ask the NeXTSteppers or BeOSers or maybe someone who's
seen what Mac OS X is doing. NT went with the database approach, of course
(the registry... and look what kind of problems that causes!),

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.106 / U:0.500 seconds]