SubjectRe: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver
   Date: 	Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:30:32 +0300 (EEST)
From: Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi>

Of current kernel source tree drivers, no doubt ?

yes

> 2) tulip.c appears to be ok, perhaps by luck, even though it doesn't
> disable interrupts explicitly. Although I have seen cases where
> adding interrupt disabling to the transmit routine made bugs in
> this driver go away even in 2.0.x on the Cobalt machines...

Current kernel's tulip.c is ok, but lattest one from Becker's
driver collection does blow up with 're-entering interrupt..'.
(Like the lattest 3c59x.c does too..)

One from Becker's collection also does not have all the fast routing
enhancements done by ANK which are in the current kernel source
version. At least this was the case last time I checked.

I think we also need someone more responsive than Becker about these
drivers and fixing bugs in them and in general maintaining them. When
was the last time Donald pushed a driver update to Linus without Linus
asking him for one?

If it were not for ANK, Alan, and myself, nearly all of his driver
updates would ever see the light of day in the real kernel.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.098 / U:0.356 seconds]