Subjecterror in operate memory perocess help please
Date
Please read the entire page before heckling me!

I have been running 2.0.34-0.6 for quite some time now and I have run into a
snag. Recently I added a new 123mb SCSI hot swappable drive and while
installing it into the case I dropped a screw into the case and in all of my
disappointment I accidentally grabbed my coke to take a sip and it spilled
into my 486dx66. It suddenly started sparking and smoking like there was no
tomorrow. I know this must sound weird but the computer won't boot now....
Is this a kernel problem or a modem issue.

This little bit of humor was the result of a client of mine trying to fix
his gateway buy adding a 1.6gb IDE drive to the system while the power was
on. He thought that plug and play meant that this could be done. But then
he dropped a screw into the case and spilled some soda in it while trying to
retrieve the screw off of the motherboard while using no magnetic screw
driver to "scoot" the screw to the side so he could pick it up. He then
told me that the system sparked and that after the smoke went away, he
rebooted and the system would not come up. He asked me if it could possible
be Windows 95 being corrupted. He also rambled on about it being the modem
that was installed a month prior (by his son) that was still in operation
when the computer died. This man, an attorney, also asked me to replace the
parts because they should be under warranty.

His system was:

PII 400MHZ
256 RAM
11gb IDE Drive
8mb Video
56k "USR" X2 voice fax modem
33.6 Fax modem (installed by his own son)
3com 100mb Network Card
SB 128 sound (maybe it was a 64)
DVD drive
Philips CDRW
4mm HP tape drive

I asked him why he was installing the drive in the first place. He said
that he thought he could use the extra space (he currently used 1.5gb of the
11gb).

The moral of the story is simple. No brains, no headache.

Thought that you would appreciate this story.

Gary Smith

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.034 / U:0.192 seconds]