    SubjectRe: my broken TCP is faster on broken networks
    Date
    > Clearly it _does_ improve his network performance, and there is
    > something very wrong with exponential backoff on the Internet.

    You can mathematically prove that an exponential backoff is the
    minimal safe backoff for congestion avoidance

    > a simple manner. Even if every client does the backoff (hah!)

    They do, and more recent routing technologies actively punish people
    who are using excessive percentages of the bandwidth - the internet
    routers are turning into traffic cops too

    > to let the backoff grow so much. Never mind the pure theory.
    > We have _humans_ involved, and they don't wait 2 minutes.

    The maths is clear. And if your ISP is slow and you get heavy packet
    loss and long delays from many sites (ie its not their end) then
    change ISP. Vote with your feet.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:33.716 seconds]