SubjectRe: my broken TCP is faster on broken networks
Date
> > Chunks of the net are congested. That congestion however you will
> > note doesnt cause a congestion explosion
>
> You are completely ignoring several important things.

Im looking at accurate network models made by people who have spent
their life doing it, and whose models fairly accurately predict current
network patterns

> 1. It's not all TCP/IP. There are many protocols without backoff.
> If the TCP/IP connections do the backoff, other protocols will
> have an advantage and will consume all bandwidth. TCP/IP won't
> get a fair share by being polite.

Their volume is microscopic, and their behaviour is generally backoff

> 2. The exponential backoff can not be enforced, since users can
> restart the connection. That is exactly what happens.

Their restart also resets the congestion window to one frame

> 3. The last time I heard, http was the #1 protocol. Since the
> connections are short-lived, backoff works poorly anyway.

http/1.1 uses persistant connections

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.058 / U:0.060 seconds]