SubjectRe: [offtopic] Re: I2c was: Cobalt Micro (was Re: Build your own Mo therboards)
Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

> [SNIPPED]
> > >
> > > Therefore, everybody on the bus has to use a pseudo-random back-off-time to
> > > resolve deadlocks.
> >
> > Eh? Are we talking about $I^{2}C$? It sounds like you are talking about
> > Ethernet. I could have sworn that I remembered I2C being a clocked
> > tri-state bus (or whatever the correct terminology is), with automatic
> > backoff (multiple devices can start transmitting at once: the first one to
> > notice the bus differing from what it is sending simply stops
> > transmitting.
>
> You can write and read at the same time. You don't know that somebody
> else is attempting to write while you are.

As far as Ik now, kenneth is right.

The problem might be that you got to work with chips that simply don't
support the (complicated) multi-master protocol.

Implementing the multi-master protocol in software is not easy.

Yes, many CPU-I2C interface chips leave the protocol to the software.
I'm not sure if you can implement the multimaster protocol in
software. You might have to guarantee a sample-rate of more than 1MHz
or something like that.

Roger.

--
| The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can |R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl
| fake that, you've got it made. -- Jean Giraudoux | phone: +31-15-2137555
We write Linux device drivers for any device you may have! fax: ..-2138217