SubjectRe: linux/Makefile: CONFIG_SHELL and SHELL
Clifford Wolf <clifford@clifford.at> writes:

|> > Please do the latter. Setting SHELL to a nonstandard value (different
|> > from /bin/sh) causes *all* commands to be started with '$(SHELL) -c cmd'
|> > instead of internally by make (which knows about the /bin/sh parsing
|> > rules). That would kill performance quite a bit.
|>
|> I don't know much about the internals of GNU make - and I'm sure you are
|> right in theory - but this are the values I got:
|>
|> with "SHELL := $(CONFIG_SHELL)":
|>
|> real 13m32.125s
|> user 12m20.000s
|> sys 0m46.000s
|>
|> without "SHELL := $(CONFIG_SHELL)":
|>
|> real 13m14.745s
|> user 12m18.910s
|> sys 0m45.030s

It depends on whether /bin/sh can be kept cached while the compiler is
running. If it needs to be loaded from disk each time then the difference
is noticable.

--
Andreas Schwab "And now for something
schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de completely different"