    SubjectRe: Legal Issues with UDI
    >1. Can you mix a GNU GPL'ed OS ( Linux & Hurd ) with non-GNU GPL'ed
    >drivers?
    >
    >2. Can you mix a GNU GPL'ed OS ( Linux & Hurd ) with proprietary
    >drivers,
    > for which you do not have the source code, and there is not even a
    > glimmer of hope that you would ever have the source code?
    >
    >3. Can you mix a GNU GPL'ed OS ( Linux & Hurd ) with proprietary
    >drivers,
    > for which you do have the source code, but the source code is not
    > released under the GNU GPL?

    [Usual disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and this message does
    not constitute an offer of legal advice.]

    These issues have been rehashed over and over again. I think
    that if you search in DejaNews, you may be able to review some of the
    prior discussions: gnu.misc.discuss should be fruitful, as (to as
    lesser extent) will comp.os.linux.kernel. Also, this line of
    non-technical discussion might be more appropriate for
    comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    Summarizing: loading GPL-incompatible loadable device drivers
    is OK in Linux. Linking GPL-incompatible device drivers into a
    customized Linux kernel might be OK so long as you do not "publish or
    distribute" the resulting kernel image. Linking GPL-incompatible
    device drivers into a Linux kernel and distributing the resulting
    kernel image (via FTP, CDROM, etc.) is probably a bad idea.

    Craig Milo Rogers

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:60.704 seconds]