    SubjectRe: Odd error.
    > A system I help admin gets the following error:
    > sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.
    > where is a vaild IP address.

    And is faulty or misconfigured. Basically the reporting
    machine got an icmp message back complaining about a broadcast frame.

    You are not allowed to send icmp replies to broadcast frames. Its strictly
    forbidden in the RFCs. The normal cause of this is misconfiguration of
    broadcast addresses between the two nodes, although even then on ethernet
    the is probably breaking RFC requirements since it should
    have been a mac layer broadcast too

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:0.036 seconds]